I get asked what the advantages and disadvantages of #itemwriting are a lot.
And while I believe that this is a very subjective question, in MY opinion…
…the ADVANTAGES of being an item writer are that it
· can be intellectually STIMULATING (e.g. to work ‘around’ constraints in brief, to do with level, etc.)
· is perhaps becoming more and more readily AVAILABLE? (e.g. apps, online platforms, micro-learning tendencies)
· teaches you the ‘BASICS’ of authoring discipline, some key tools, etc. (e.g. obeying word counts, CEFR; various types of consistency)
On the other hand…
…the DISADVANTAGES of being an item writer are that it can
· occasionally be repetitive/monotonous
· be badly paid (…)
· feel a bit too (creatively) limiting.
What are YOUR thoughts? Do the pros of #ELTitemwriting outweigh the cons?
#showmehow #skillsfirst #skillsmatter #IELTSTeacherTrainer #TeachingIELTSafterCELTA
#assessment #itemwriting #ELTassessment #ELTitemwriting
Hi. I’m Fatime. I’m an IELTS Teacher Trainer, helping CELTA-qualified English language teachers become better at teaching SKILLS, as opposed to just testing them.
Check out my courses here:
How to Teach IELTS Listening:
How to Teach IELTS Reading:
How to Teach IELTS Writing:
How to Teach IELTS Speaking: