Do you teach any of these IELTS-specific SPEAKING sub-skills? How?
1) being able to speak AT LENGTH on a given topic without being prompted by the examiner
2) understanding the general SOCIAL CONTEXT of a language exam (and its expectations)
3) using COMPENSATION STRATEGIES successfully to avoid communication breakdowns
4) being able to retrieve appropriate LEXICAL SETS with relative ease
5) brainstorming effectively to generate enough RELEVANT IDEAS to extend one’s answer
Which of these speaking sub-skills is hardest for your learners? What have you tried to help them?
Hi. I’m Fatime. I’m an IELTS Teacher Trainer, helping CELTA-qualified English language teachers become better at teaching SKILLS, as opposed to just testing them.
Check out my courses here:
How to Teach IELTS Listening:
How to Teach IELTS Reading:
How to Teach IELTS Writing:
How to Teach IELTS Speaking: