Sometimes it’s hard to know what a SUB-SKILL is, or where one ends and another one begins…
So, as a quick test, which of these do you think is NOT an IELTS listening sub-skill?
1) distinguishing between literal and implied meanings
2) guessing the word class of an answer in advance
3) using the right register to achieve a desired communicative purpose
4) recognizing shifts in the subject
5) being able to use conversation for both transactional and interactional purposes
[Answer key: 3 and 5]
Hi. I’m Fatime. I’m an IELTS Teacher Trainer, helping CELTA-qualified English language teachers become better at teaching SKILLS, as opposed to just testing them.
Check out my courses here:
How to Teach IELTS Listening:
How to Teach IELTS Reading:
How to Teach IELTS Writing:
How to Teach IELTS Speaking: