Part 4 is a MONOLOGUE on an ACADEMIC subject, i.e. often a university lecture or some other kind of informative speech heard in a university context.
To raise your learners’ awareness of what a MONOLOGUE is, or what we mean by ACADEMIC speeches, have them do the following exercise.
“Which of the following topics are academic monologues?”
1) a marine biologist talking about a new turtle conservation program at a scientific convention
2) a proud father talking about his son’s career achievements with a friend
3) a small business owner complaining about a new kind of tax to their spouse
4) an architect summarizing the features of a type of building that is common in a region
5) a friend giving advice to another friend about buying a house
6) two master chefs talking about their childhoods and early fondness for cooking
7) a lawyer talking about famous cases of constitutional crises
8) a lawyer telling their parents about their last successful case and what they learned from it
9) a mathematician explaining why they did not like math at elementary school on a TV talk show
10) an ear nose and throat specialist describing some typical health problems in the winter in a lecture
Can you write another example of an academic monologue?
(ANSWER KEY: 1, 4, 7, 10)
Hi. I’m Fatime. I’m an IELTS Teacher Trainer, helping CELTA-qualified English language teachers become better at teaching SKILLS, as opposed to just testing them.
Check out my courses here:
How to Teach IELTS Listening:
How to Teach IELTS Reading:
How to Teach IELTS Writing:
How to Teach IELTS Speaking: